Snow tire recommendations

Rich Zuk wrote:

> Okay, lost of posts, I'm confused..as usual.
> For 16V:
> Who's using what for the snow conditons?

Well, I heartily recommend the Nokian Hakkapeliita tires for the snow. There are
Hak 10 and 1 variants. The 1 is the better overall tire and the 10 is
specialized for the deepest snow. Bizzaaks are better for sheet ice, but then no
tire really gives you real traction on ice unless they are studded, anyway.

> What's the difference between snow tires and studded tires?
> what's better?

Snow tires are developed to give maximum traction on snowy/icey surfaces at the
expense of performance in the dry. They have soft sidewalls so that a maximum of
contact patch stays flat on the ground at all times. Also, the tread is designed
so that snow packs up inside the grooves. Why? -because snow sticks to snow
better than it sticks to rubber. (Pack and snowball and then try to make the
same snow stick to the *side* of your tire. See the difference?)

Studded tires are any tire with spikes embedded in them to promote traction on
snowy/icey surfaces. You could stud your Yokohama AVSs if you wanted to. Of
course, there's no reason to stud anything but snow tires, but...

> What size rim, what size tires?
> What name brand, etc. and why?

For a 16v or any car with the 10.1" brakes, I'd recommend 14x5" rims with
Hakkapeliita 165/70 tires. This is what I rally on and the control is awesome.
For a car with the 8.9" stock brakes, do the 13" rim with 165/80 or 155/80 if
things are really crazy out there. Considering that you're in NYC (only 50 min
away from me), I suggest the 165s.

If you want even more information, I'd suggest heading over to
http://www.snowtyres.com

G&G Service
4073 Hubertus Road
Hubertus, WI 53033