Re: [16v] Mini-Slip Diff. Worthless?

At 11:43 pm -0500 7/1/99, Jason wrote:
>spun and spun and spun.  So, now the question... what's this shit about
>VW's "mini-slip" differential?  I can see that when they said "Mini", they
>meant "Teensy". :)

Actually I think they meant "lotsa"... Like Shawn said, it works on spring
tension.  I'm not exactly sure how it works but the critical parts in there
are a pair of metal rings.  These rings wear out (or sometimes break,
according to Velocity) over time, and as they do, you get more and more
slippage.  It's possible that these rings are too badly worn or broken in
your diff...  btw Velocity's limited slip kit is basically just a pair of
replacement rings, slightly bigger and made out of some interesting alloy.
hth!