Emissions, Help!

  Help! I have an 87 Scirocco 16v 2.0. I have an empty catalytic
converter (according to the previous owner), and a cracked exhaust
manifold. I gotta pas emissions. I got everything but the HC's (hydro
carbons) at idle to pass. If someone was dishonest (not me of course!!
;-) does anyone know how well the isopropyl alcohol in the almost empty
gas tank trick works? It's 12 bucks a try and a long line so I'd rather
not half to try too many more times. I already tried retarding the
timing and leaning out the idle (worked on my rabbit with no cat). Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I've changed cap, rotor, plugs, and oil.

Jason.
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.