Re: smog check

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:22:31 -0500 (EST) greenchester@iname.com writes:
>Hey all,
>It seems that in like three months I am going to move the San
>Francisco Bay area from the east coast. I am taking both my rocco (of
>course) and my Truck. My question is has anyone brought a
>non-Califorina car into CA? Of course some one has but what will I
>have to deal with with the smog laws? The rocco has a relatively new
>2.0 in it (put in like two years ago) and will this change what year
>it is considered for smog shit? These were never CA cars.
>TIA

Basically you will be required to smog the car based on what
year/make/model the engine came out of.
I hope you swapped in the entire ignition system. (CIS-E)

For the most part, as long as you have a CAT in the car you should be OK.
There are also some charcoal canisters and other smog crap you might be
required to have on the car (Dunno if you have them or not.) for the
inspection phase of the Californizing. It can be expensive if you bring
the wrong car but for the most part, VW's are smog friendly and easily
adaptive to conform our strict (anal) air laws.
You have some time to get it compliant before you need to register it. Id
research what needs to be done and wait til the last minute to do it. (IE
wait til your current tag expires.)
GL and welcome to the west coast! See ya at the ND show!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and