special tools

I've done it several times using a 2 or 3 lb hammer straight against the
end of the arm:  turn the hub so the end of the arm is facing out and
hit the end of the arm a couple of times.  If the tie-rod doesn't pop
out with a light tap, try hitting the arm again.
Works every time for me!
Using the puller is probably safer in that there is less chance of
damaging the hub arm, but I haven't heard of the arm breaking by being
hit the way I have described.

Cheers,

Ewan.
'85 2.0 Storm