cam sprocket teeth?

Dumb question here.  I'm in the process of merging the 91 2.0 16V Passat
block with my 87 1.8 16V Scirocco.  I need the intake cam from the 2.0
because mine was pitting and about to fail.  I notice that the sprockets are
pretty wierd looking on the Passat.  Basically identical, except it looks
like VW machined off the outside half of the teeth.  Not a wear problem,
just  VW saving some machining and material costs, is my guess.    I suppose
I'll mix the two.  Is there any conventional wisdom here?  My guess is "no
big deal", but I'd like a warm fuzzy before I button it up and put some
miles on it....

Later, I plan to get a pair of Kent cams or at least the Euro intake, but
I've spent enough on this thing in the last few weeks.

Thanks,

Mark Langford
87 16V Scirocco
 Huntsville, Alabama