Re: Sac meeting and Lombard ST(short reply - additions)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999 04:16:22 -0500 Kathy Teulie
<104372.1061@compuserve.com> writes:

>Saturday was a day that I will remember for the rest of my life.
>It all started when the phone rang. Kathy and I were sleeping
>In our Motel 6 room in Davis California when Shawn called.
>"This is your wake up call," Shawn said.

You did a good job of sounding like you were awake! :)
I was gonna act like I was CHP and tell you, "we have recovered your
wrecked stolen vehicle". Julie wouldn't let me.

>Later that morning Shawn pulls into the Motel 6 parking lot
>In his MK2 Scirocco with Julie in the passenger seat. Of course
>he makes a beautiful varoom announcement on the way in. As I look

Well, one must be announced when one arrives, no? :)

>I told Shawn that I would fallow him and Julie said, "We will
>Be following the mini van driven by the _____ with the ___ ________!"

Oh, I know what goes in the blanks! GAWD!

>This mini van was on a mission. I think Mario would have been afraid.

Mario? Jesus would of been screaming JESUS CHRIST!!!!!!!! IM GONNA
DIE!!!!!!

>Shawn got several pictures of Kathy and me flying down the
>Fog covered road passing cars like cones on an auto-x.

I hope they come out.

>I hope the shots we took of Shawn and Julie comes out.

I expect a blur honestly.

I made it to the top. I was thinking I hope Shawn does not hit that
>manholecover.

I said, "holy crap, Mt. friggin Everest in the middle of the road," and
drove around it.

>I look out my rear view mirror and see him drive around it. I pull
>into a driveway at the top
>to see what if any damage had occurred. I park the car, shut it off.

There was a car in between us and when your stopped on this hill, you
cant SEE the car at the stop sign. By the time I got there, I couldn't
see which way Doug had went. I guessed he turned right, which went down
hill and again, you couldn't see what was down the hill until you were
going down it. By the time I realized he hadn't turned right, I decided
to drop Julie off figuring Doug had turned left and dropped off Kathy. I
proceeded up to the top of Lombard street only to find Doug not there
either. I paused a little while trying to give him time to get there and
decided to go ahead and drive down the famous street.
So, I get to the bottom (P/S would of been nice.) of the hill and Julie
is yelling at me, Doug tore off his oil pan" and points to the streak of
oil which, when followed will lead you right to the Red MK-I.
My first thought was, "thank GOD it wasn't ME! (You can understand ive
had a few traumatic failures lately and when it happens to other people,
I feel like its not a "SH!T HAPPENS TO JUST ME" thing.)
OK, so my mind goes to work on a solution...............

>I pull out my tools and start working on the project and everyone
>suddenly needs to get a drink or use the rest room. Well this is not
>that bad of a deal, I am in a big city 400 miles from home, It is
>getting dark, I am stuck with no oil and when I say no oil I
>mean no oil!

True but you were surrounded with friends! (With spare parts! heh-heh!)

>But Shawn was expecting to meet Tosha to pick up a trany.
>Shawn is practicing for the transmission event in the upcoming Olympics.

Yah, I can bench press a 90mm flange (easy) tranny or a 100mm tranny.
(Muey hard!)

>Shawn sends a 911 message to Toshas beeper and then we wait. The phone
>rings, it is Tosha and he has an extra oil pan and oil. YYEESS! So now
we call
>off the ProLong experiment and start working on the pan exchange.

We would of actually physically needed the Prolong to do the
experiment..... technicality, right? :)

>With a 10mm
>on one hand I pull the thing off and look at the hole. Yep it is a nice
>one.

I have pics to Document the event if anyone cares to see them. I will
scan them and either create or let the master of Scirocco.org make a
little SF experience page to document Doug's experience!

>Tosha finally drives up the forbidden hill (cliff). I am thinking I
>hope he missed the manhole cover.

Oh, lets not forget the phone call we got from the T-mans woman. LOL!!

>difficult as usual.
>Tosha jumps it and just gets them in. This guy is the best. Shawn did
>offer all kinds of good advice and some special tools that helped get
the
>job done.

1/4" drive ratchet with a 6" extension and a 10mm socket are key to
getting the 3 bolts back in the oil pan. :)

>Hurraaa now Shawn put in 4 quarts of oil using
>the patented Shawn technique we start the motor and this cold grumpy
>bored out there mind gang if off to dinner.

Actually, it was a crappy thing to have had happen but we really made the
best of it! It was really only a 3 hr delay, right? I had a great time
for some weird reason. It wasn't what we had planned on doing,
<sarcasm..>Doug really could of picked a better time to get a 5qt oil pan
to replace his 4 qt'er pan and an oil change but hey, we all had a really
good time of it.

>I left my oil pan, in San Francisco, on the hill, near
>Lombard ST (sounds like a song) You just got to love this list and the
>Scirocco drivers who use it.

It a very cool thing to see happen. Otherwise Kathy might of gotten to
stay there in SF like she wanted all along! :)
Dinner was simply great! Great choice T-man! I'll forgive you pointing me
out to the local cops. Thanks for that. :)

It was a trip to remember, That's for sure. I cant wait for the ND show!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and