RE: Shifting gave way!!!! what happened????

Alfred,

Bummer.  Your problem could be expensive or cheap.

The way to find out is to jack up the front end.  Take a look at the
shift linkage for anything that would prevent it from changing gears.
Shredded bushings, missing bolts, broken mounts, etc. Anything that is
loose will inhibit the transfer of force from the shifter to the
transmission.

Story time:

When I first got my 'roc it had very loose and sloppy shifting. After
taking care of more pressing items I finally got to checking the shift
linkage. I found some bushings in great condition from the junkyard.
Anything was a great improvement seeing how two of mine were completely
missing. Well, when I drove it the next morning, I shifted into first
fine, but couldn't get it out. The shifter was totally loose front to
back, but stiff side to side. Drove around the block. Jacked it up and
saw that teh bolt that holds the short-piece-with-the-ball-end on was
not on enough. I had tightened it, but the slot of the "piece" was not
on to the bar all the way. So it just slipped when I tried to shift out
of first. Quick fix, simple.

So, take a look. Unless it is a broken stud in that holds one of the
brackets to the firewall, it shouldn't be expensive.

HTH

Jonas

85 Scirocco