Re: tranny thang

> Your 86 Jetta came with 90mm flanges? Hmm, not mine.

According to dealer microfiche some base model 85s and 86s came with 90mm
inner cvs.   Only Gti's and GLi's came with 100mm inner cvs.

> >Putting the 90mm flagnes should be pretty easy.  You'll need two seal
> >kits and a flange installation tool.  They should just swap in.
>

> You dont really need the seal kits but for $10 each, its money well
> spent.

I thought that the 90mm flanges have a different diameter at the sealing
surface?  They did on my FF at least.  That was out of an 80 Jetta so vw
might have changed that when they went to 100mm inner cvs.

> >You'll have to
> >remove the green tin sleeves,
>

> Why? The green tin doenst need to be removed, if you get the seal kit,
> just remove the seal from the green tin and reinstall a new seal.

When I took the 90mm flanges out of the FF they were considereably shorter
than the 100mm ones.  In order to to be able to put the larger diameter
seals in, vw used the sleeves to extend the case.  If your using 90mm
seals, they will press right into the case itself with no need for the
sleeves.  At least was the case in my FF.  They may have modified the all
cases after 83 to eliminate the discrepancy, but that's how it worked in my
case.

HTH

later,
Greg Faust

85 Mazda RX7
86 Jetta Deluxe 2dr
87 GLi
88 Scirocco 16v - (208k miles and counting)