2.0 16V's, Motronic, and TURBO systems.

I'm also going to be converting to Motronic in preparation for a turbo
system later this year.  I had toyed with the idea before, but aside from
the availability of $99 performance chips, there wasn't a truly _compelling_
reason to do the conversion.  If you can get the whole Motronic system for a
good price and don't mind a little bit of a project, it's not a BAD idea to
convert.  After all, it's a more sophisticated and flexible system that
would eliminate the need for any goofy fuel enrichment devices and set the
stage for a turbo kit later on down the road.

By the way, I will be relocating the fuel distributor to the passenger side
compartment for the sake of the turbo plumbing.  (I think it might clean up
the look of the engine compartment a bit, giving you better access to the
topside of your transmission.)  This obviously requires an A2 intake (which
I already have... came with my 2.0 liter 16V engine... hee, hee) although
when the turbo system is installed I go back to the stock Scirocco manifold.

If there any 16V owners that are SERIOUS about doing a turbo system (besides
me and Tim Ebling), please drop me a line.  The turbo system I'm looking at
is designed for 90-92 A2 16V by Matrix Motorsports in Portland, OR.  So if I
can get one or two more A1 16V people to buy into the idea, it will help
justify the shop's development cost and result in A1 owners getting the same
price as A2.

This is a "Stage I" system, with mild boost (7 PSI from 2500 to 6600 RPM),
no intercooler, and utilizing the stock compression ratio.  Should be good
for gobs of torque and near 200 HP.  For obvious reasons the system is very
simple and relatively inexpensive at under $3000, not including the Motronic
conversion.

-Bradley
http://effervescent.com/vw/

New Quaifes from $849!
Final order to be placed at the end of the month.
See http://effervescent.com/vw/quaife.html.