LA Auto Show; 99.5 GTI VR6 GLX

Went to opening night of the LA Auto Show last night.  Very cool.. highly
recommended if you're in the area.

Non-VW content: new Honda S2000 was there.  Awesome car!  Honda was telling
people will sticker at about $30k.  There has been much speculation about this
as no pricing is actually announced.  At that price, it should compete very
favorably in its class.

The Nissan Z-concept was supposed to be there, but wasn't - yet.  I ASSume
it will come later in the week.  There were concept cars ALL over the place,
more than I can ever remember seeing.

VW content: no NB 1.8T in attendance, unfortunately.. I wanna check that
bad boy out.  But - everything else was there, including The A4 Jetta GLX and
GTI VR6 GLX.  I was VERY impressed with the GTI.  It stickers at over $22k -
- but at that price, the thing is loaded to the gills, including leather,
heated seats, auto rain-sensing wipers, auto-dimming rearview mirror, center
armrest, center sunvisor, vanity mirror lights in headliner, floor mats,
full size spare, wood trim (VERY dark, looks almost black in GTI GLX, looks
great IMHO), pollen filter, tilt AND telescoping steering wheel... none of
this stuff was available in the A3 cars.  There are a bunch of cool new
colors - the one at the show was Tropic Orange, which is a metallic color
in a kinda persimmon shade - very nice, and very different.  Also available
will be Futura Yellow, Jazz Blue, Indigo Blue, Satin Silver, Flash Red,
Cosmic Green, Uni-black, and Cool White.  Also new: 16" alloys, w/205-55/16
Continental rubber (no more GAs!!!) - this should make 17s more practical
as you'll still be able to keep some tire on the rim (i.e. no need for 40s
or 35s)..

If you haven't seen an A4, what everybody is saying about the quantum leap
in quality is so true and so evident.  The A3s just don't even compare.
The difference in interior quality is like comparing a Mercedes to a
Chevy (well, almost).  The body panel gaps are ultra thin.  Fit and finish
is impeccable.

According to VW rep at the show, GTI VR6s should hit the showrooms in
February.. I'll be there for a test drive.

Any specific questions, fire away..

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA