article in new EC

Got my new issue of EC today (April).  There's an article in there about
upgrading a Jetta IV suspension with H&R coilovers.  There's a hilarious
passage in there about a guy in a Civic following them up a mountain for
the photo shoot.  They describe the car as having "more wings than the
Taiwanese air force" (!).  And allegedly the guy has 250 hp at the front
wheels.  He tried to follow them up the mountain, but the Jetta (now with
its upgraded suspension but wimpy 115 hp motor) kept kicking its ass in
the twisties.  Best line describing the Civic: "It was the type of punk-
mobile (it even sounded like an annoying gnat) that you're tempted to blow
off with the slap of a hand."  Damn, pretty strong language in a publication
put out by a company with "Sport Compact Car" in their stable!

It said that upon reaching the photo site, the Civic driver "leaped from
his car and began to scrutinize the Jetta, desperately searching for evidence
of high-performance aftermarket tuning.  There was none to be found.  Even
the Jetta's all-season Michelin running gear was untouched.  'I don't
understand', said the kid.  'What's wrong with my car?'  He went on to detail
the thousands of dollars he'd poured into the Honda and the lifestyle
sacrifices he'd made in paying for it: years of peanut butter-and-jelly
sandwiches, a cheap apartment with cinderblock furniture, and no love life.
It was a sad tale that's unfortunately told too often."

HA!  Pretty funny stuff.  Sounds like one of the anti-Honda nazis you see
trolling in r.a.m.v.w. all the time.  The good news in there is that
apparently the Mk4 platform handles quite well with this upgrade.

--
Kevin Collins
Huntington Beach, CA