Re: freeze plugs

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 6:15 PM, Rich Zuk <mailto:emt@imcnyc.com> wrote:
>What are freeze plugs?

Metal (aluminum?) discs that fit into hole in various parts of the block.
There are 3 big ones on the back. As far as I know, they keep the coolant
in the coolant channels while taking up some of the slack for temp. related
flexing of the block. My guess is they are called freeze plugs because they
will give way before the block cracks under extreme temps, such as when the
coolant actually freezes, doesn't move and creates a lot of pressure
(anybody? I'm pulling almost all of this out of my ass).

scott

'86 Scirocco 8v