Subject: hard to shift

> From: yankeefan@baseballmail.com
> Subject: hard to shift
>
> my roc has always been hard to shift. i changed that shift ball looking
> thing (technical term) down in the linkage. still hard to shift/ and
> really sloppy. what is the easy fix? how involved are changing the
> bushings? i havent torn it apart, so i have no idea. tia

    I would say you should start off with new linkage bushings,
considering it's only 6 bucks or less for the complete set, which
are fairly simple to install with a little help from your handy dandy
Bentley manual.  If that doesn't completely fix your problem, you
probably need to adjust the linkage.  This is done by loosening the
bolted clamp at the front end of the main shift rod that runs from
the bottom of the shift lever up to the splined end which goes into
the clamp. You see what I mean once you get under there.  Once
the clamp is a little loose, turn the rod ever so slightly towards
either the driver or passenger side(one spline at a time).  If you
have more trouble with 1st and 2nd, turn it towards the passenger
side, or the opposite if you have trouble getting into 4th or 5th.
This is all covered pretty well in the Bentley.  I think there is a
bracket/special tool which centers the shift lever for easy
adjustment, but is not necessary. If you have more of a grinding
problem, you may have some beat syncros. Try a little Redline Mt-
90 in the tranny to smooth it out.
- Noah
(gotta get that 5-speed in DAMMIT!)
noah@newdimensions.com