fuel/temp gauge grounds?

Hey YOU GUYS,
Anyone remember The Electric Company?  That has nothing to do with
anything, It is a great pressure trying to think up interesting intros.

Hey my fuel gauge and temp gauge do not work. I think it is the ground.
I looked in the Bentley but got confused. Can anyone help? There are so
many brown wires.  I had my seat belt warning system short out and fried
all the related wires, plus one brown wire I think that it is one I
need, but it has gone bye-bye. So I don't know where to wire in a new
one from (can't trace) Also with the key on, would the test light come
on when I touch the positive from the sending unit? Help I dislike
running out of gas.
c-ya, dave gray