RE: remember that stick shift problem?

> 	3.) here is the worst part... while reassembling, the bolt broke
> that
> attaches the stick shift rod to the metal shaft that runs into the trans.
> (the bolt that passes through the first set of bushings)..
> the bolt is specially designed that
> one end if much thinner than the other.  This really sucks because I can
> see no reason for this oddity.  it weakens the bolt significantly, and
> makes replacement a drag.
>
> I plan to widen the one hole in the bracket
> supporting the stick shift, so that a standard bolt can be used as a
> replacement.  Does anyone see any reason why this would not be a good
> idea?

i do...  the reason that bolt is thinner on the end the nut goes onto is so
the nut tightens against the bolt *without* squishing the fork together.  if
it were a regular bolt, tightening the nut would squeeze the fork and cause
very stiff shifting because the fork would grab onto the shaft and not allow
it to rotate.  if you want to drill it out, you will have to use a bolt long
enough to put two nuts on, then tighten the nuts against each other, not
against the fork.  i recommend you just go to a junk yard and get that bolt.
by the way, how hard are you tightening these things?  they only need maybe
10ft-lbs, just enough to keep it from loosening.

chris
86 16V scirocco