Tach Not Working!!!!

I've seen others inquire about the odometer not working, but I've got
problems of a different sort.  Since I did owned the instrument cluster,
the tach never worked.  Even when it was in the original car, it never
worked.  Now that I've done an engine swap, I would enjoy my semi-content
job.  Where should I look?  Where does the tach hook up to?  The cluster is
from a 83 GTi.  BTW, could I swap a digital cluster from a newer car into
either my 81 Scirocco or my 84 Rabbit/GTi.

Sal

81 Scirocco (motorless but with a direction)
84 Rabbit/GTi (when it rains it pours)
67 Peugeot (mint condition)
-It's only wrong if you get caught.   -JMK

-We are all prostitutes.   -Me