Re: sick 'roc

I've had a very similar problem which took me a while to figure out.
Check the ignition timing again. Mine has slipped or something and gone
retarded before. The engine overheats badly, doesn't have power and the
exhaust gets really hot. I know you say you checked it, but i thought I had
checked mine too.. Check your centrifugal advance and vacuum advance too.
Maybe vacuum leak??

At 03:16 PM 2/23/99 +0100, you wrote:
>My scirocco is sick :-(
>
>Last week it suddenly (first noticed it after start up following a 3-4
>hour rest) developed a scary problem. It has no power, and it shudders
>when torque is put to the wheels (from the engine, like a cylinder is
>missing). Also it seems to get hot real quick (not overheating, just
>heats up much quicker. After just a 5 minute drive, the exhaust is
>"crackling" and "ticking" the way it usually does after a good long
>drive).
>
>I checked plugs, wires, injector flow, and compression. Plugs and wires
>were fine (both are also 1 month old), injectors all flowed with a nice
>pattern, compression showed one cylinder as having 20 psi lower than the
>other 3, which were at 180. I put a tablespoon of oil into the cylinder
>to see if it changed, but it did not. I decided to pull the head. Upon
>inspection, it appeared as if there was exhaust blow-by at the cylinder
>with low compression. Also the cylinder head showed some pitting where
>the head gasket seats. The head had already been resurfaced to give a
>higher CR, so I decided to try to find another head at the junkyard. I
>had the new head resurfaced (gave it a 9.5:1 CR). Put it all on last
>night. Started her up at 11:00. Problem is still there. WTF.
>
>Needless to say I'm frustrated and going through 'rocco withdrawal. I
>called ND and they will take a look at it on Friday. Tonight I will take
>another look to see what I can see. I will check the compression again.
>
>Any ideas/suggestions as for what to look out for. Fuel seems to be
>getting there, I havn't checked for spark, but the plugs, wires, cap,
>rotor are all really new (<4months old). What else. Timing is on the
>mark. Cam timing is a possible source of problem. I have an adjustable
>cam sprocket to counter the retard caused by the shaved head. I'm pretty
>sure that the timing lined up, but it is entirely possible that
>somewhere it is one tooth off. What are the symptoms of that? Could that
>be it?? I'll triple check tonight.
>
>Please help me ressurect my rocco.
>
>TIA
>
>Jonas