Re: [tech help 16V] middle valve cover bolts stripped! (oil leakinginto sparkplug holes)

Eeewwww....  Aluminum head+more than 11 ft lbs of torque=spinning bolts.  You're
going to need to re-tap the threads and repair them with a kit, available at
your local fastener guru.

jim

Chris Coracini wrote:

> help!!  ok, you know those two long skinny bolts in the middle of the valve
> cover?  (they squish down the gasket around the spark plug holes).  well,
> both of mine stripped!  the bolts are junk now, and i think i stripped the
> two threaded holes in the head, too (when i pulled them out, they both had
> metal in between the threads...).  i can turn the bolts with my hand now,
> they don't do anything.  now i've got oil leaking into the spark plug holes.
> is there any hope of repairing this without taking the head off?  what about
> those thread repair kits?  do i just have to re-tap the holes and get bigger
> bolts?  (this would mean removing the head to get all the shavings out i'm
> afraid...).  so, how bad did i mess up this time?
>
> chris
> 86 16V scirocco

Jim Buck
1990 Passat Wagon 2.0 16v