Weekend Bay Area Cruise - Lone Wolf Style

We are such different people, these listmembers of mine, Yet there is a
thread of life that runs though us all that we might share this common
taste, this wonderment with a thing that we find worth experiencing.

Just this last weekend was the 3rd Sat. of the month, a good and proper
time to coagulate with the members of the A1 Scirocco Club, a member I
count myself one of, however peripheral.

Sunday though, was an impromptu Come on Out and Cruise with the
brotherhood meet, So I postponed Sat until Sun with the knowledge it was
to start at ND in Santa Clara by the airport, and include a run up
Highway 9.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the San Fran Bay Area, we are
hours within reach of almost any climate you might imagine- people have
gotten blasé' about being able to Surf and Ski within the same day.

If any and all who have a chance to drive though my part of the world,
let me know when you are around, I will be available to join on a drive
though the Bay. You spec the time frame, I'll generate some fun times.

On this particular day, Up on Skyline Blvd., the old road that leads
from Santa Cruz to San Francisco, are lots of twisty roads that run up
under the trees, and it was looking to be an enjoyable get together with
some far flung Buds, to twist some drivies and knock back one or two
suddly ones.

Doh! Battery rundown on Sat eve means Sunday afternoon won't find the
starter turning. Crap! My brother's out of town, and no ones around, so
I'm late to the rondevouse.

Rats! they're all gone, as I break out the map and plot me a course, up
to Highway 9 and Skyline by way of Saratoga, a sleepy little hillside
burg full of old timers & people with enough money to escape to the
hills.

My car is an '81 silver Scirocco. Courtesy of the previous owner I have
large sway bars, stiff but worn shocks and struts, shock mounts that I
don't like to think about as they clunk and bang, and springs of
undetermined origin. The rims are 13 inchers with 205/60 series rubber
and two different brands of rubber on the front and the back. One pair
of the set is a part of the Falken lineup. When it rains I slip and
slide, when its dry they sing before slipping. So many things that need
fixing, so many upgrades to perform.

On this- the "any given Sunday", I found myself and my car, all tired
and worn as it was, in a wonderland of turns and corners, uneven
pavement and semi patched potholes, Lovin it and Digg'n it. a'Wonderful,
a'marvelous. With no one to follow and no one to lead, I was free to
follow my Muse, to paint my own trial.

Up, down, in and around, even past an 'other the way going' police
cruiser as I chirped the tires. Heh, heh. The roads were treacherous in
spots due to recent rains, bicyclist in other spots posed obstacles to
my aging paint job and future status as a 'not to be a felon guilty of
manslaughter' type driver.

By the time a short hour and a half was over, I was back in
civilization, surrounded by the familiar and somehow not all charged up,
no longer brimming with adrenaline.

Drive it in the county, tonic to your nerves. Good for what ails ya.
Balm to your soul.

If you don't drive Scirocco, you wouldn't understand. Don't bother
asking unless you want to know.

Peace be with you and yours,
TBerk