Re: Stiff steering...?

coutinho.ka@pg.com wrote:
> I have noticed that my steering is getting really stiff, it's great
> on the shoulders but it's getting a lil annoying.  Anyone have any
> thoughts on what it could be?  Do our cars have steering fluid?
> Anything else I could check?

My son's 84 Scirocco had this same problem.  It was a combination
of worn strut bearings, worn shocks, and improper assembly of the
strut bearings the last time they were changed.

The strut bearings at the top of the struts are your steering
pivot point and must be in good shape.  The simple test is to
see if you can get your fingers between the top plate and
the strut tower housing.  If you can the strut bearings are
usually worn and/or deformed.

The front shocks can also rotate when you steer so if they
are binding and the strut bearings are stiff then this will
also toughen the steering effort.

When replacing the struts/bearings be sure that the proper
spacer is used in the strut bearing.  If it is too thin
the nut on the shock will clamp the bearing and resist
turning.  When properly assembled and tighten the strut
bearings should spin freely on the shock.

As a final problem, check your whell alignment.  Too much
negative camber (top of wheel in farther than bottom of
wheel) will increase steering effort.  Also too much caster
can also cause this.

Hope this helps.  My guess is that it is time for front
strut rebuilding.

regards,

Mark