Shifter bushings and brackets, oh my!

A quick recap...from the "questions, questionss,... " thread:

One thing to note, though.  The kit my mechanic used didn't include some
particular bracket that is necasary for sciroccos.  He said that for some
reason the scirocco requires a bracket replacement when doing the shifter
bushing kit.  The bracket had to be ordered and should be in in a few days.
$8 for the bushing kit. 1Hr labor.  Extra $30 for the bracket.  total cost
$90 including labor.  (You might not need the bracket if the bushing kit
has been done once before, but have your mechanic check the kit and you car
before you get the work done. it'll same you an extra trip.)

Now shifting is 100% better!   Shifts are light and easy, my driving is
much smoother, and it's a pleasure to drive again... (don't get me wrong,
it's always a pleasure driving a scirocco. :)  )

There's still a little movement in the shifter but that should be taken out
after the bracket is replaced.  I'll let everyone know as the work goes on.

Now for the new information:

I got the call from the mechanic this morning who had recieved the little
bracket that was not included in the shifter bushing kit.   Into his shop I
flew like the bat out of hell that my 16v thinks it is...

20 minutes later I'm driving away with a my new bracket.  The shifter is
slightly tighter.  I don't know if the $32.02 I paid for the bracket was
worth the very slight difference in shifter play, but at least I can say it
was fixed correctly.  I think the bracket might have made 1st and 5th a
little easier to get into though.

Total cost: $80 and some change.
Total Time: 1 hour and some change
Total Play: 1/4 inch (from extreme left to extreme right while in gear)
Total Satisfaction:   95% { and some change :)    }

I know the work was done competantly and efficiently.  I don't quite
believe the bracket was worth the extra $30.   Like I said before, shifting
is much easier and makes the whole driving experience more enjoyable

Over all, i'd suggest it to anyone whose shifter is kinda sloppy.  I think
the total change is well worth the expense.  Just do the whole thing all at
once so you don't expect a huge change with the bracket on the second trip.

Hope this helps.
Derek
{still trying to get money out of the turnip that hit my car with no
insurance.}

87 16v Red (needing new tires and wheels)