Re: stick shift woes

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:37:37 -0500 Aaron <catacomb@psu.edu> writes:

>Lemme know if anyone has has this problem before and what to do to fix
it..
>or should I take it to a professional mechanic.  I'm HOPING it's just
some
>kind of suspension spring that snapped.... I guess I wont be replacing
my
>motor mounts as soon as I thought.... although I never did like all the
>'play' I have in my transmission (at least an inch no matter what gear
i'm in)

You need a new shifter. :(
Its actually pretty simply to replace, just alot dirty and time
consuming. Well, then I guess that makes it not easy right?

Speaking of the "play" that you have in your tranny- I too have always
had this 2" side to side play even tho I completely replaced my entire
shifter with a new one including all the bushings except the big bushing
for the shift rod.
So, today I remove the selector lever of shifter that the ("Ball") lever
sits into. Its kind of like a cage that the ball part sits into. I
noticed that this had alot of play in it and the ball is new. So, took it
off, used Mr. Hammer to make the ball fit a little tighter. Put it all
back together and to my surprise, its as tight as the day it was new!
(Like I would know.)
So my advice is to check the condition of the ball. If its flattened then
it might be time to replace it. Also the cage part I described should'nt
have an excessive amount of play in it either. if it does, you can make
the required modifications to close the tolerances so it will once again
be a happy shifter.
HTH!!

>thanks for reading.. and thanks for any info.

Hey, it was QUALITY Scirocco content. We thank -  you!  : )

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and