Re: stick shift woes

Aaron wrote:

> On saturday, on my way to work, something bad happened with my stick shift.
>  Hopefully someone may be able to lead me in the right direction:
>
> everything was cool as I pulled into a gas station to fill up. turned car
> off. everything seems as usual.  got back in car, turned car on (still in
> neutral).. everything cool.. then I reached for stick shift.. everything
> changed.
>
> I noticed the stick shift was about 2" shorter and I couldnt get into 1st.
> I had to pull the stick shift up and wiggle it a bit, and then it popped
> back up to it's normal height, as if it 'found' an opening and came up
> through that opening.
<snip>
> thanks for reading.. and thanks for any info.
>
> -Aaron
>  84 8V

Aaron,

It's Mike/Mark time. Parts should be low cost, relatively speaking.

It sounds as if you're shifter ball, the mechanism right under the shift
lever has given out.

It should be limited to just replacing the nylon (I think that's what
the plastic is made of), and can be done, I'd think, in an hour or two.
Haven't ad to do it myself, but heard a lot about people who have.

This would also be a good time to replace the shifter linkage bushings.
They can be had for about US$5-10.

Hope that's all that's wrong,
TBerk