Re: Oil Pressure Survey

I'm not all too familiar with how loud the 16v lifters are when they
collapse.  I have a Rabbit once with a transplanted 8v hydraulic
head/engine, and it was loud.  My mom has a Mazda MPV with a few collapsed
lifters, and you can hear it from inside the car pretty easily.  What I'm
saying is if you have to listen real careful, it may not be the lifters...
but if it is, it's a matter of removing the cams, and replacing the
lifters.  (I'm assuming that 16v "physiological makeup" is essentially the
same as 8v)  If you do have them replaced, it's a good idea to replace all
of them, not just the ones that are bad... that way you don't have to about
the other ones a year or two down the road.

It is sometimes possible to just clean them, put them back in, and have
everything be ok.... this is good if you in a bind for money.  Occasionally
they get a little gunk inside of them that prevents them from pumping up.
The way I tried to clean mine for my Rabbit was trying to pump them up in
some diesel fuel... unfortunantly it didn't work for me.  Anyone have any
more info on this?

BTW... I'm writing this at 5 in the morning... just woke up... all of this
makes sense to me right now, but I'm very incoherent, so it may not make
sense later... just a little disclaimer :)