Re: Peculiar starting problem

I agree with Eric on this one.
I think it's heat soak on the pressure regulator too.  Have you noticed this
in the past during the summer?  It's probably worse then.  An easy way to
check if this is really the problem is to unbolt the pressure regulator from
the block(2 screws).  Leave the blocking plate underneath alone.  Tie wrap or
otherwise secure the pressure regulator body away from the "hot" block.  Drive
around like you normally do and see if the problem re-occurs.  If it doesn't,
that was your problem.  You may also notice a slight increase in HP compared
to when the regulator was bolted to the block.  This is because the fuel is
not being restricted(normal operation) due to the extra heat from the block.
Some people have even disconnected the electrical plug so that the unit never
warms up.  This will give you a little more fuel pressure(i.e., more HP) but
you fuel mileage will drop accordingly.  Now the fun part is fabricating a
spacer or bracket to keep the unit off the block.  What I did was a 90 degree
sheetmetal bracket.  So the unit sticks out from the block.  I've had this on
for 10+ years.
Good Luck.

 -dick-
78 Scirocco