Re: [Funky tech] Lighting: 5th relay?

Objective:  To have the H4 lows come on, via on-dash toggle switch, along
with the H4 highs and H3 when the high beams are selected.  This enables me
to have the option of getting extra light, if i choose to, when the high
beams are turned on.

>right now you have one relay for each of the low beams, right?
>when you turn the high beams on, that's the other two relays doing that,
right?

I have 4 relays.
Driver side lows / Drivers side highs / Passenger lows / Passenger Highs

>when the high beams are on, only the two high beam relays are activated,
>the other two low beam ones are off.

Low Beams:   The H4 lows come on with low beams.
High Beams:  The H4 highs and the H3 comes on.

>all you need to do is run a wire
>from 12V+ to a switch on the dash, (put a fuse on that wire)....  then
>run a wire to each of the low beam relays.  attach it to the terminal on
>the low beam relay that activates it along with the existing wire (don't
>know which one that is, but it's the one that makes it click.).  it
>kinda sounds like that's what you were thinking of doing anyway, but you
>don't need a relay to do that, since you won't be passing a lot of
>current through it, it will only be used to activate the other two,

Correct me...Connect a jumper wire between the two wires that enter terminal
86 of the Driver side low relay and terminal 86 of passenger side low relay.
Then attach a wire that leads from the toggle to this jumper wire.  So when
I toggle switch to on, the 2 low beam relays will be activated.  Causing the
H4 lows to come on while the H4 highs and H3 are on.  So we are tricking the
car into believing that the toggle switch is an extra low beam activator, my
original desire.  So the 5th relay won't be needed because I'm now using the
existing 2 low beam relays for their intended purpose. ie, handling H4 low
beams.  I had it such that the 5th relay would handle both of the H4 lows.
So If i do it this way, is it safe?
I wonder if this is what Andre was trying to explain to me.

> i did this to my radiator fan relay so i can activate it
>from inside the car to turn on the high speed setting so my temp goes
>down (do it yourself low temp switch!).

Hold on!   One thing at a time my friend!
Peace
Rich Z
NYC 88 16V