Re: Peculiar starting problem

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>Small problem with my '86 that has me stumped.
>
>If the car is stone cold (ie. it has been sitting all night), the car
>starts right up on the first kick.  But, if the engine is warm, it
>gets tougher and tougher to start.  Now, if the engine is hot and you
>shut it off for a minute, it's fine to re-start ... but if you leave
>it for 10 or 20 minutes, you have to turn it over much more to get it
>going again.
>
>It's almost as if the engine should be getting an extra shot of fuel
>that it isn't when it's warm.  What could be wrong?
>
>Thanks,
>-- Michael Helms
>
>'81 Scirocco - the fixer-upper
>'86 Scirocco - the daily driver

This is a tough one, there are many variables involved, I had a Rabbit that
did the exact same thing.  I had tried everything and came to the conclusion
that it's fuel pressure related.  Never solved it completely, I sold the
Rabbit, but here are a couple of quick fixes:
Check your plugs if they are black or dark brown you can lean out the fuel
mixture.  This will decrease the severity of the problem.  Also it will make
your car a lot more fuel efficient.  If you don't want to mess around with
that:
When the engine is warm or hot unplug the fifth injector electrical
connection and try starting it at various temps.. If that helps then you
need to put in a switch between any of the two wires that are connected to
the fifth injector and have it on the inside of the car.  So when it's warm
or hot the fifth injector can be off, and when you start the car cold you
can have it on.
The fifth injector squirts fuel at all temp. ranges for varying periods of
time.  I think from 1 to 3 seconds.  DO NOT completely leave it unplugged,
if it's cold outside your car will not start or start really hard, without
the extra fuel.

Andy