RE: Scirocco Classification

I think you're on the right track. If they would consider a Golf GTI a
non-sports-car then you should be able to argue that it's almost exactly the
same platform. If a GTI is a sports car, you're out of luck.

Funny thing is that SCCA is about as close to any European type of racing
you can get, and *everything* could potentially be a sports car (heck, my
old Ford Fiesta is the cousin of a rally champ!), so what /would/ they
define as a "sportscar"??? What began as a lowly grocery-gettin' Subaru
Imprezia is now whuppin' the pants off of Porsches. Sounds rather vague to
me...

My vote? Buy the Scirocco anyway! They're great!
...Had to get my plug in ;-)...

Neal