RE: rpm's shot up w/defogger on?

it could be that your compressor is not engaging.  i took the A/C out of
mine, but when i use defrost, the rpms go up to 1500, because the engine
is not loaded by the compressor but the idle compensation thingy still
does it's thing.  so next time it shoots up like that, go check and see
if the compressor is engaged.  (you can tell because the inside will be
turning.  if it isn't engaged, the inside will be static while the
outside turns.)  it could be low on freon or have a bad connection
somewhere...

chris
86 16V scirocco