Re: [mk1] tightening up the hood help

In a message dated 2/15/99 7:16:02 PM Pacific Standard Time, rts@nol.net
writes:

<< while cruising around 70-100+mph my hood starts to do a little dance.
 its locked down firm and flush with the fenders but i can see it
 lifting and bouncing around a few mm's. it kinda scares me a little.
 I know it sure as hell aint aerodynamik with that overhang just
 inviting the wind to lift it up. Is there anythign i can do to
 tighten it down >>

You don't want you hood bouncing around.  Over time the latch may give way and
you'll have a hyper-extended hood on your broken windshield.  Sounds like you
might want to look at the two bumpers at the front corners of the hood.  If
you look at the underside of the hood, you'll see a black bumper on each front
corner.  Those bumpers are adjustable.  They allow you to set how "tight" you
want to have the hood close.  Since you say the hood is flush with the fenders
the hood latch is probably set at the correct height.  Now go to the front
corner of your closed hood and push down on it.  If there is any significant
movement downward, that bumper need adjusting.  Open the hood and just turn
the black bumper out and try the test again.  By turning this bumper out, you
may have to close the hood a little harder in order to get the center latch to
engage.  Just play with it and you'll fine the right combination.
Good luck.

-dick-
78 Scirocco
Original Owner