Re: Scirocco Tune Up Gone BAD!

T Berk wrote:

> Hello.  My son Andy has a 87 Scirocco that he loves.
> He's trying to learn, and got himself into a bind the other day.
> I'm hoping one of you experts will be able to help him out.
> OK he wanted to do a simple tune up.  So....he replaced
> the plugs, distributor cap and rotor.   Car wouldn't start.

If you are indeed getting a spark at the plugs, go check that
firing order again.  If it is 180 degrees out you will be
firing on the end of the exhaust cycle and it won't run or
pop much.

I've tripped myself before due to the distributor being
installed WRONG in the first place with the wires
switched around to correct it.  You go put the wires
on the correct way and it runs really weird!

Firing order is 1-3-4-2 with #1 plug by the pulley end of
engine.  There is also a small mark in the rim
of the distributor (cap off) where the rotor will point when
it is supposed to be #1 cylinder.  This mark is usually
so that the rotor is pointing near the corner of the block.
When in doubt take out the #1 plug and look for the piston
to be near the top when the timing mark on the flywheel is
at TDC.  If the rotor is pointing the wrong way, the distributor,
its drive gear or the intermediate shaft has been put in
wrong.  Try to match the wires to what the cap using this
new orientation.