Re: [mk2] Bouncy tach

>	In the last few days I've noticed that my tachometer has started to
>act very strangely: the needle bounces all over the place. Sitting at a
>stoplight, it will go from 1000 to 0 a few times and will return to normal.
>This also happens while I'm driving, sometimes it'll go up or down be as
>little as a few hundred revs and sometimes as much as 2000. Is this common
>in aging VDO clusters? The engine is definitely not sustaining these
>changes in RPM, and I'm not running my AC. Any ideas? I think my entire
>cluster has taken a crap: one of the lights has gone out, the odometer only
>works in cold weather and gets stuck often, and now my tach is going
>crazy....
>
>TIA,
>
>___Wojciech Galecki___
>'84 8v Scirocco

All of these problems could have some very common causes, which have
been discussed here at various times...

For the bouncing tach, check your coil.  Use the procedures in the Bentley,
even if it passes, it _still_ may be intermittently failing.

For the light out, go to the dealer and buy 3 new ones.  Probably cost
around $5.  If you need directions on how to remove your cluster, consult
the Bentley or see my page at http://www.freeyellow.com/members2/da-studios.

For the odometer, it's a slipping plastic gear.  When it's cold it
shrinks and sticks, as it warms up, it expands and begins to slip. I've
fixed several of them.  Jan's VW page has a fix, his  url is at
http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html look for speedo_fix.txt under
the "Body" section. You have to tear down your speedo, and if you're not
comfortable rolling your odometer wheels around like dice, then skip it. :)

==Brett