Oxygen sensor and wiring

Yesterday I tried to make sure my Ecode parking lights worked so I
disconnected my Oxygen sensor and hooked them up to that (as a temporary
power source) and grounded them to the battery, nothing came on. Isn't the
oxygen sensor live when the ignition is turned on and stays live until you
turn the engine off?
Maybe this is the reason for my bad mileage, even though I replaced the
sensor (for the first time at 92,000 miles) its just not getting any juice?

Ian