Re: 17s on an Mk1

> Last one.  Anyone running 17" wheels with 205/40-17's on a MK1 Scirocco?

    Yup!  205/40/17 Yoko A510

> I am but it is quite a tight squeeze.  I want to ditch my wheels for new ones
> (lighter ones).  What should I look for in offset for a 7" wide wheel.  I
> think the Niche's I have now are +44mm and I need a 1/4" spacer in the rear,
> but the front fits awesome.  Any tips?

    Hmm, well I run 17x7.5 with 35mm offset and the fronts fit great.
No rubbing
  on the front fender lip and I only have a fingers width between the
tire and
  the fenderlip.  BTW, I run Koni Sport Adjustables.  As for the rear I
rub a bit
  on the spring and also on the fender.  I shaved the entire, well most
of it, rear
  fender and I still get a bit of rubbing, BUT, I believe 35mm for a
7.5" wheel to be
  perfect.  I will say that some springs are wider or narrower than
others.  I have
  Suspension Technique progressive rate springs.  I also have 4 pics of
my shaved
  rear fender if you are interested.

    As for what offset to run on a 7" rim, I figure since my backspacing
is 130mm, so
  for a 7" rim that would translate to a 41mm offset.  So, I would
suggest getting at
  least a 38mm offset and go no larger than 40.  BTW, this all depends
on your spring
  setup.  The width of the tire narrows between shoulders when going
from 7.5" to
  7" so perhaps  41mm would work, but I am guessing it will be easier to
find a 7"
  rim in a 38mm offset.  Good luck, and send those pics to me if you got
any  =)