Re: karmann/dash vin#

>ok i recently checked my vin# for my 86 16v....well it's all wrong. so
>what i was wondering is on the side of my black 16v there are plastic
>type plates between the the side windows..it says karmann on it does
>that mean(any details would be appreciated) it was made in the karmann
>plant or what....

All Sciroccos were made at the Karmann coachworks.

also i'm replaceing my cracked dash with one from a
>scrapped car (perfect condition)it has the vin # riveted down what do
>i do with it..because if i don't switch the tags the vin# will be
wrong.
>thanks

If you read the vin off of my 1982 Scirocco's dash - it will tell you
that it is a 1987 Scirocco 16V.

If your car is already registered - I would not worry about it. The VIN
is also on the chassis and on the sticker in the trunk, which also will
tell you the paint code, option codes, etc.

Of course, I still have the VIN plate from the original dash - but the
car is registered to the correct VIN.

Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco S
1982 Scirocco