Re: FI conversion-need some power

It would be a lot of work to convert to FI:  before you even think about
the engine you would need to modify the fuel supply to fit a lifter pump
in the tank and the main fuel pump/accumulator with associated wiring &
pipework, not cheap if you are buying new ( £90 for the main pump
alone).  You then need to make-up the wiring for the fuel pump relay,
warm-up regulator & cold start.  You'd also need to get the air
meter/fuel distributor/airbox assembly for the engine end of the fuel
supply.  If you want to go down this route, the simplest solution would
be to buy a smashed MKI golf or scirocco with intact engine and swap the
bits you need.  Could be pretty cheap if you've got the time and
somwhere to put the car.

Alternatively... I presume you have got the 4+E box in your car.  If so
you would get a big difference upgrading to a 1.8 carb engine and a
close ratio box, say out of a MKI golf GTI / scirocco GTI/GTX.  You
could probably pick-up a decent engine & box for around £500 or less,
depending on how much you want to swap from your old engine.  It would
be virtually a straight swap.  My GT started life with the 1.6/4+E
combination and now has an audi 1.8 carb engine with a MKI golf box and
it is pretty quick. I had a 1.6 auto scirocco before I got the GT and
the GT felt rocket propelled by comparison.  It doesn't have the top end
power of the FI but, considering that it is completely stock it goes
pretty well -  I got 115 on the straight the other day no problem.

If you want to get a professional opinion/quote for the FI or 1.8 carb
conversion, phone Grant Fullerton at Solely VW ( they're in Central
Scotland) as they do a lot of conversions and he also breaks VWs for
spares.  The number is 01324 717150.  I bought the GT from him and he
also supplied the 2.0 engine I am now running in my Storm.

HTH

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0
'86 GT 1.8