Re: FI conversion-need some power

Hey Mark,

I just completed such a swap.  I had a 1.7 carb setup and installed a 1.8
JH fuel injected system in my 84 Rabbit.  I would definitely recommend the
switch over since it is more secure and easier to get more power.
Depending on what you want to do, you can put any motor in there.  I should
have gone with a 16V but I figured that I would put a 16V in my 81
Scirocco.  Unfortunately, you would need a donor car.  You must swap almost
everything .  What I mean is that you must start with the fuel tank, the
fuel lines, the motor, fuel injector lines, airbox, and all the necessary
electrical wiring.  It was a PITA, but like I said a donor car is ideal for
the job.  If you have more questions, lemme know.  I'm more than willing to
give you info.  I have a link which explains what you need to do:
http://www-pal.usc.edu/~jan/cars.html

Look through it but remember that it's best to have a donor car.  I paid
$450 for a rusted 83 GTi, but I used everything on that car to transform my
84 Rabbit into a nice GTi.

BTW, I'm finally getting the exhaust installed tomorrow.

Feel free to ask away........

Good Luck and don't be afraid to do all of the work.  I even went so far as
to paint the engine bay, paint the motor, clean all the parts with Varsol
and even rebuilt the motor.

Sal
81 Scirocco
84 Rabbit

  At 08:46 PM 2/7/99 -0000, you wrote:
>I find it hard to hit 100mph in my car.
>I realise it is only a 1.6 and has a carburettor but this surely is not
>good.
>
>What would be involved in converting to fuel injection?
>Can the current engine be modified to do so?
>Has anyone done this before.
>The engine code is EW if that is of any use.
>Also, what about costs.
>
>Cheers lads
>
>Mark Thomas '87 Scirocco GT
>Email: scirocco.gt@virgin.net
>Have a look at my Website
><http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.thomas15/index.html>
>

>--

-It's only wrong if you get caught.   -JMK

-We are all prostitutes.   -Me