Re: FI conversion-need some power

At 02:11 PM 2/7/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Q. Doesn't your car have the 'birdbath' or single downpipe exhaust? For
>reference, early types (say '81) had a manifold that collected the 4
>ports to a dual down pipe.
>
>Later cars collected the 4 into a single, cup type fitting. Chokes
>performance. You _may_ wnat to look into a better exhaust setup before
>undertaking the (imho) major undertaking of swithching over to FI.
>
>Recently I think our friend Sal did the switch, maybe he'll contact ya
>to relate what it took.

  I did this several years ago. A dual outlet manifold can be had from the
junkyard cheaply. But the downpipe that goes with this is about 6" or so
too short to reach the cat. I tried using flex pipes and broke 3 before
giving up on them. The solution was to buy a dual downpipe that will fit
the Scirocco II, this will make it much easier. I got the downpipe, with a
hole drilled for an O2 sensor, for around $120 from TT. It worked great,
and I never had any problems with it for the 2-3 years I owned the car with
that setup. TT also sells the manifolds new, for around $150 or so. This
setup makes a very noticeable power difference over the 4-1 stock system.

 For the original poster, wouldn't it make more sense to swap in a complete
1.8 (or even 2.0) with the injection already on it? The injection alone
wouldn't be real cheap, and the gains to be had wouldn't be that dramatic.
If you want more power without an engine swap, see who makes performance
carbs, and cams, and do the exhaust as mentioned above. Maybe someone sells
a jet kit for your stock carbs to get some more power?

Brad