stupid newbie questions....

Hey folks...

I'm new to the list and scirocco ownership and I've got a couple of stupid
questions.

I've got an 87 16v completely stock.

1.  Is it normal for the engine power to start at 3000 rpms?   Don't get me
wrong, the car has some strength in the lower rpms but it almost feels like
a different car at 3000.

2.   Between 3000 and 4000 rpms the engine sound and feel changes
completely. Is this normal?

3.   I had my mechanic change the oil when he did the water pump/timing
belt/3 motor mounts.  He used 15w-40.   In Oklahoma we don't get too cold
too often ( a couple days of single digits but mostly in the 20's) but we
get pretty warm, a few 100 + days a year...  Any comments on his choice of
oil?

LIke I said, I'm new to the joys of scirocco ownership.  My last car was a
86 Monte Carlo with a V-8, so this little 1.8L engine is a little different
than I'm used to.

Thanks in Advance.
Derek