Re: cold start and stall: did i get jipped?

On Thu, 04 Feb 1999 23:48:37 -0500 Edward J Lin <ejl9@cornell.edu>
writes:

>but my question is:  does the distributor in the car go bad?  if so,
what's
>the average life on that part?  not the distributor cap, the actual part
>that runs off of the cam (or crank) shaft and into the cap.  did i get
>jipped?  thanks for any light you guys may shed on this.

The deal is on 16v cars, the distributor, as you well know, lays on its
side. There is an oil seal inside that fails and once that happens, the
distributor is junk.
<plug> A while ago the Potterman has been rebuilding these distributors
(and he even tests them out to make sure they work before shipping them.)
and sells them for much less than a new distributor. (File that info for
later use.) Otherwise you pay full price for one which as you know,
sucks.
Anyway, the important thing is, your car runs, we all rejoice!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and