Re: Corrado Brakes -- Physics Question: Are they pointless?

16V JASON wrote:

> At 02:33 AM 2/4/99 , Riley McDowall wrote:
> >At 11:19 pm -0800 3/2/99, Jason wrote:
> >>Does anyone know exactly what's involved in installing corrado brakes on
> >>an 87 16v? Are the calipers much better? Is it worth the trouble?
> >>Brackets/spindles different? If I remember correctly the corrado has 11"
> >>brakes and the rocco 16v is 10.1"??? I'm going with ATE super blue brake
>
> Okay... this is a subject that I've been debating with someone behind the
> scenes for the past month or so.  It is my opinion that putting 11" brakes
> on a 16v is redundant.  Why?  Because 10.1" rotors are already enormous on
> a car that weighs 2370lb.  My argument:
>
> The Audio 90 20v has the same brakes as the 16v Scirocco does: 10.1" in the
> front and 9.6" solid in the back, single piston calipers.  It weighs
> 3200lb.  It outbrakes a stock Scirocco 16v.

By how much? Wow that is an interesting point. If I understand correctly the
multi piston calipers have better pad wear characteristics but don't offer much
more stopping power. It seems pad material and rotor size and ventilation are
the main factors. Has anyone thought of setting up some air ducts for their
rocco? Something like what the corrado uses? Is this something that would be
easy to do? And most importantly do you think it's possible to get cross
drilled brembo's with ferodo's to fade on a rocco 16v without going crazy on
them?

Jason
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.