Re: Alternator squeal..and the V belt isn't too tight

Victor,

Before you panic and go out and buy another alternator
you still need to determine if it is the belt slipping.  This
can happen with both a tight and loose belt.  You mention
that it is worse in cold, which is also when the alternator
has to do more work to charge the drained battery.  Also,
winter moisture can make it worse.

I am very careful buying blets for the alternator after
a weird experince a few years back.  The belt was a
plain old Gates belt which woudl slip without making
a sound.  The result was reduced charging capability.
When they checked the alternator out of the car on a
test machine it was fine.  I insisted that it was bad and
bought a rebuilt over the objection of the parts guy
(imagine that scenario).  In the end it was the belt.
When I changed to a good factory OEM Continental
belt the problem went away!

If you put on a plain old belt, you may be having
excessive slippage due to a poor surface material
or incorrect "V" angle.  The Continental belts from
the VW dealer work best and try to get a "toothed"
version with the inside serrations.

You can also check the bearings by removing the
belt and spinning the shaft by hand.  A bad bearing
typically whirs loudly under load and feels "notchy"
when spun by hand.  If the bearing is making the
squeal, then you will notice this even by hand
because you have metal to metal scrapping.

Mark