Re: Coolant smell, low heating

Rich Zuk wrote:

> 88 16V:  Hoses all changed 6 months ago.I sometimes smell some coolant
> thru the vents.  No noticable fogging on winshield, no moisture on
> passenger side carpet either.  I don't know if a/c works or not.  What
> do you think?Also- Is it me or everyone, my heat does not get "toasty"
> warm, even after an hour of driving in the hills of the Adirondacks
> with 20 degree temps.I want lots of heat and no coolant smell!!TIARich

I 'm having similar problems, in my last scirocco I used some stop leak
(world's best stop leak, it's the gray stuff in a plastic tube, not the
liquid) I've had a ton of people tell me this stuff is the best. The
smell went away. Probably a little pinhole leak in the heater core. As
for the low amount of heat I'd flush the cooling system and put in a new
thermostat. These both do a lot to protect your engine, radiator, and
heater core, none of which are cheap items to replace. I have a cooler
fan switch and thermostat than stock so that doesn't help either.

Jason.
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.