RE: [tech] Steering rack

I replaced my driver's side tie rod boot last summer.  It wasn't an
altogether EASY job but it was still easier than I thought it would
be.  Took all of about 2-3 hours total.

All you need to do is disconnect the tie rod from the wheel bearing
housing (being careful not to break or deform the joint).  Next you
remove the old tie rod boot.  It's not as easy as it sounds because
it's a really awkward place to get to, and if the boot is the
original one, then it'll be held on by a metal clamp.  I spent about
an hour trying to get this damn clamp off - finally bent and twisted
it enough to break it.  The boot will just slide down the rod and
off.  It's a tight fit, but you can do it.  The new boot can also
be slid up the rod and into place.  I used a thick plastic tie wrap
to attach the new boot, and again it was a pain because of the
limited space and difficulty in seeing what you're doing.  Just be
patient and you can do it.

Lemme know if you have more questions!

-tim