Re: Tech: question concerning transfer pump on Scirocco ?

---drew <drew@quixote.cs.uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> At what point (if at all) did the Scirocco switch from a single fuel pump
> which feeds from the bottom right of the fuel tank to a transfer pump
> which feeds from the bootom of the tank via a pickup tube to the main
> pressure pump through the fuel sender hole on top of the tank?

The same time they went from a small doughnut spare to a full size spare
tire I believe.  That would have been around 1984.

> I could guess that this was done with the introduction of the 16V.

Nope, earlier.  I have an 85 with the tpump, and I'm pretty sure my 84 has
it also because I listened for it to make sure it was running...sure sounded
like it.

> What I'm looking for is a way to adopt the transfer pump&main pump/fuel
> filter/accumulator assembly of an A2 CIS car to an A1.  This would require
> a transfer pump/fuel sender assembly which would interface with the A1 gas
> tank.

Why do you need to do this...?

> If the 16V Rocco uses a transfer pump in the tank:

It does.

> 	does the pump/sender assy. mount to the tank with an A1- style
> bayonet (ie. install and turn 1/3rd turn to tighten), or does it use the
> A2/3 style - which installs into a rubber grommet and has a plastic ring
> which tightens onto the tank.

Ring/bayonet style that you mention.  The whole metering/pump assembly comes
out at once.

> 	is the main pump integral with the plastic resevoir assembly &
> accumulator/fuel filter a la A2 ?

No.  The plastic bottle is tucked up next to the tank. Somplace between the
main tank, this bottle and the low side of the main fuel pump I have a
small leak too (in my 1985 winter car).  Pain in the ass because everything
would have to come out to fix it (axle, brake lines, fuel pump, fuel lines...)

==Brett