Tech: question concerning transfer pump on Scirocco ?

A question for those SciroccoII owners intimately familliar with the
specifics of their cars' fuel systems:

At what point (if at all) did the Scirocco switch from a single fuel pump
which feeds from the bottom right of the fuel tank to a transfer pump
which feeds from the bootom of the tank via a pickup tube to the main
pressure pump through the fuel sender hole on top of the tank?

I could guess that this was done with the introduction of the 16V.

What I'm looking for is a way to adopt the transfer pump&main pump/fuel
filter/accumulator assembly of an A2 CIS car to an A1.  This would require
a transfer pump/fuel sender assembly which would interface with the A1 gas
tank.

I have access to A2 fuel systems, wiring and relays and can adopt as
required to fit the A1 chassis.  All I need is an in-the-tank transfer
pump to complete the recipe.

If there are any 'listers' out there that have both 16V and 8V 'Roccos
that could provide me with the following information so I know where to
direct my efforts (VW parts/junk-yard wise) I'd be most grateful - it
would save trips through fiche and snow-covered junkyards.

If the 16V Rocco uses a transfer pump in the tank:
	does the pump/sender assy. mount to the tank with an A1- style
bayonet (ie. install and turn 1/3rd turn to tighten), or does it use the
A2/3 style - which installs into a rubber grommet and has a plastic ring
which tightens onto the tank.
	is the main pump integral with the plastic resevoir assembly &
accumulator/fuel filter a la A2 ?

Please respond via email to
drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca
as I am a digest lister and don't want to miss a posting on this subject.

Thanks for the info.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca