Re: Fuel Injection Help Needed

Ron,
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, it would act like
it was running out of gas no matter how much fuel it had in it
and then after having it towed home the first time it started right
up. Later I found if I waited a few minutes it would start.

After I paid a local shop (I wont mention any names) over $300
to try to solve the problem, it was still there. After a almost a year
of this hassle, my uncle, a Dodge mechanic, took off my fuel filter,
pounded it on the ground on a piece of paper towel, fuel exit side
down, and calmly announced "there is your problem". There were
small chunks of rust from my gas tank that punctured a hole in my
filter and clogged up the fuel distributor, lines, injectors or whatever
was down river from the fuel filter. He fixed in 2 min. what a prof.
VW repair shop could not fix after charging me 3 hours labor and
other parts I probably didn't need, but that's another story altogether.

The fix for me was to pull the tank, have it chemically stripped,
plastic coated, replace the entire fuel system from a CIS car
completely intact at the local 'pick-a-wreck'. I kind of went
overboard but I did not want to have this happen again. Since then
the car has run flawlessly. I have heard that it only takes one bad tank
of gas to completely clog up a filter. True? I have also heard that you
never want to fill your car at a station while the tanker is filling the
tanks.True?

Another thing to consider would be the Fuel Pump relay for I have
had a few of those go bad.
Also check to make sure that you are getting fresh air to your airbox.
Make sure its not clogged, or that the air filter isn't dirty.

Hope this helps.

Randy B.
Cosmos 81 Scirocco S - 2.0L 16V
Mars 81 Scirocco S - t t  1847cc