Re: Scirocco, a collectors car?

The MK1 Scirocco will never be a car that is collected as an
investment like a 917 or a gullwing MB. It is more like a Mustang.
The Scirocco has little $ value as an investment
but so do several other collectibles. The Scirocco is a collectable that you
can drive.
Several collectable cars never see the road because they are worth too much
money.
It is difficult to collect $100K cars but $5K cars could be collected.
I still say the MK1 will be like the BMW 2002 as far at as collectible
classic.

>>From: Foxx
>  i must digress for the normal, "accepted" definition of "classic
>collectable" and say that the only reason something is of that nature is
>if someone wishes it to be. i love my scirocco, but i must say that i've
>had many people ask/wonder 'what the hell is a scirocco?'. i've even had
>one person think it was a merkur.

To say one man's trash is another man's treasure is a true statement.
The automotive world will determine what is a classic, not the individuals
that own the cars. We have made the car a cult car. The automotive world
will make it a classic. The folks that crashed the Sciroccos when they were
young and the car was new will make the car memorable to the public.
It is the design and its market position that make the MK1 Scirocco a
candidate
as a classic collectable. It will not be a museum car.

I think you missed the point about what makes a car a classic.
A classic design is one that still looks good years after it is obsolete.
Age is not what makes something a classic.(The MK1's design is 28+ years
old)
If people remember a car as the "best in its class" and if it was a major
work of art it will be a level one classic. The MK1 is both. The last
measure of
a classic is if it was important to the automotive world.
The MK1 is the "GG" designer car that got respect from day one.
The MK1 was the first water pumper A1 car. The MK1 Scirocco
is the Karmann built car that replaced the
KG and started the water cooled movement to replace the bug.
The MK1 is a functional "sports" car. The MK1 is the sporty pocket rocket.

If you look back in time
several cars were not that great but were important to the automotive
world. The 2CV is a collectable because of the statement it made.
The Pacer will be a collectable (not classic) because it made a statement. I
hate the
Pacer but it is a real design study that you can't forget. The DMC "back to
the future mobile"
is a part of history and not because of the movie. The first golf will be
the car that will be remembered
as the 70's classic / major world car and the Scirocco MK1 will be known as
the sporty brother.
Just like the 65 Mustang and the 65 fastback. A classic car is a
car that made a statement in its day. If few good examples survived people
will preserve them and make them collectable classics.
A classic design is recognizable and you will usually find copies or "me to"
versions.
Honda copied the MK1. Toyota copied the MK2. The Impulse is the
real true statement of that GG design. If you want to find out more about
the history of the MK2's
design check out my web page.

MR Fox,
You have a MK2 and that is why you have trouble with people recognizing it.
The MK2 is the forgotten car. It is a great car but not that many folks
know it. The early 80's was a time when sports cars were dropped. You will
note
that few convertibles were offered during the 80's. Small trucks were
popular
and the hatchback market was saturated. Most of the Sciroccos were
driven in to the ground by teenagers. The resale value of the Scirocco
dropped
because the kids destroyed the cars. Most of the hatchback cars turned into
Super cars. the MK2 was lost and poorly positioned but it was the best of
the hatches. The public went for the Japanese cars during the 80's.
The Japanese cars had more features and competitive prices. The Golf
was more practical than the Scirocco and the Golf had more power. The
MK2 Scirocco had less power than its competitors in the US to keep insurance
cost down for young drivers. The Scirocco was targeted for 16-25 year old
drivers
that wanted a sporty car. The car looked like some exotic Italian car that
needed to be practical.
The 16v finally made the MK2 a class leader but  then the car was old and
forgotten
buy the public. The Mazda MX-5 was the reintroduction of the sports car for
most of the US.
The super cars all were dropped in the late 90's. The Sciroccos were
appreciated buy
the people that did not fallow the masses and could see the true value and
quality of the VW.
This is still true today.

Doug
87 16v silver Scirocco "GTX"