[Mk1][elec] Fuel pump relay wiring

<x-flowed>This is kind of a repost, cause I think the list was down when I posted it.
Or something.

My 1981 Scirocco turned CIS-E 16v 1.8l...

I'm getting no spark, but voltage at the coil. Coil's good, distributor's
good, and hall sender is good.

I think the tach, or something in the same circuit is causing a short which
is giving the negative lead a constant ground (not very good making a
spark). It should be getting a pulsed ground (from the ignition control
unit...right?)

I need to hook the knock computer up to the Scirocco's fuel pump relay like
the 16v's Bentley is. I cut the red/black wire at the coil (terminal 1). I
connected terminal 10 on the knock box to the wire I cut, but that doesn't
seem to do much.

Now, I need to find a ground for the fuel pump relay.

I'd like to know why the fuel pump relay solenoid gets its power from the
source it does: positive comes from terminal 15 inside the fuse box
(normal), and the negative from terminal 1 of the coil (???). Why here and
not just chassis or battery ground? Is it a rev limiter?

Does any of this make sense?

-Dave
'81 Scirocco 16v
'87 Subaru GL 4WD Wagon